There is another recipe – pickling your own bell peppers – that has a delicious pickling liquid recipe. However, this recipe focuses on the peppers. Someone asked me recently why I buy a box of peppers at a time. Well, as a box costs R39 …
Sometimes a little innovation can go a long way. When you stay on a farm, you get used to preserving things. The tomatoes ripen at the same time, so you make tomato sauce. The fruit all get there at the same time so you make jam. And then you buy a good batch of bell peppers and you do the same – you preserve them. The beautiful thing of preserving in this way is that you get delicious fair that lasts for weeks or months and there are no nasties – no chemicals, preservatives or other unknowns involved.
But what we are on about is the taste and the good food. And simplicity.
This recipe achieves all of these objectives. Pickled bell peppers are delicious, versatile and a must-have in any pantry or fridge. I’ts so easy to make it’s almost ridiculous. And you will never have to throw away the rotten peppers again. (Ever noticed how bell peppers turn to mush in a day?)
Pickled bell peppers is truly the bomb.
- Roasted and peeled bell peppers x 5
- 1 cup sugar (or less, according to taste)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2,5 t salt
- 1-2 t chili flakes
- 12 peppercorns
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 t dried dill
- Add a little olive oil to a saucepan.
- Fry the chili flakes, peppercorns and garlic cloves until fragrant.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, salt and water (careful with the first cup - it steams up)
- Bring to the boil and make sure all of the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the dried dill.
- Slice the roasted bell peppers into ribbons (see recipe for warm pepper salad).
- Put into a preserve jar.
- Pour the boiling pickling liquid into the jar, covering all of the peppers.
- Cool down the jar and put it in the fridge when cool.
- Use as required.
Peppers. Bell peppers. Capsicum. Sweet, spicy, lovely. And after a trip to the Pretoria Boeremark, you come home with a bag full for a third of the price. Which means that you have to make two dishes: A warm pepper salad and pickled peppers. Which …